Admission to the Global Studies M.A. program is highly selective:
- An undergraduate degree from an appropriate college or university, or its international equivalent, is required.
- Students should have maintained at least a B grade average (cumulative 3.0 GPA) during their undergraduate career.
- Prior experience, academic or work-related, dealing with global issues will be an asset.
Fall 2024 Global Studies M.A. online application
All applications should be submitted by the final deadline of December 12th, 2023.Apply to the Global Studies M.A. Program
Required Submissions for Admission
- $95 application fee (fee waiver information here)
- Transcript(s) of undergraduate work
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (for international applicants only)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- A writing sample
- Proficiency in a foreign language demonstrated through completion of three years of language courses at the university level (on university transcript) or through certification from the appropriate foreign language department at UNC-Chapel Hill.*
*Exceptions made on a case-by-case basis. See Foreign Language Requirement statement at the bottom of this page.
Foreign Language Requirement
Foreign language ability is an integral part of a global education. Students may demonstrate proficiency through completion of three years of language courses at the university level or through certification from the appropriate foreign language department at UNC-Chapel Hill. As appropriate to their chosen concentrations, students are encouraged to continue language study while pursuing the Global Studies M.A.
We do, however, also expect to encounter very strong candidates for admission who might not have a specific need for a foreign language.
For example, native-English speaking students interested in studying labor and migration issues in the United States, Great Britain, or any number of English language speaking places would not necessarily need a foreign language to conduct astute policy and produce relevant research. For this reason, the Global M.A. admissions committee may make exceptions to the language admissions requirement on a case-by-case basis.
Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)
The GRE requirement has been waived for all applicants to the Global Studies M.A. program.