Global Studies Internship Policies
GLBL 193 is a one-credit controlled-enrollment course, in which you will receive a grade of pass or fail. You cannot register through Connect Carolina. GLBL 193 counts as general elective credit and cannot be used to fulfill any Global Studies major requirements. GLBL 193 satisfies the Experiential Education requirement of the College of Arts and Sciences.
DEADLINE FOR SUMMER SESSION I 2021 ONLINE SUBMISSION: Wednesday, May 19th by 11:59pm
DEADLINE FOR SUMMER SESSION II 2021 ONLINE SUBMISSION: Monday, June 28th by 11:59pm
DEADLINE FOR FALL 2021 ONLINE SUBMISSION: Wednesday, August 18th by 11:59pm
To receive credit:
- You must have already met and received approval from Dr. Michal Osterweil (email@example.com) for all internship credit requests.
- The student must use the Online Learning Contract Manager system to submit the internship proposal for official approval by the Internship Advisor and Faculty Advisor. Approval for academic credit for the internship is required BEFORE beginning work. There are absolutely no exceptions.
- The proposed internship must involve at least 100 hours of work per semester.
- You must provide official proof of offer from on-site supervisor by the first day of class.
- By the last day of class, the student must submit a journal chronicling their internship work to be evaluated by the faculty supervisor. This journal must include weekly entries of 150-400 words. Failure to complete the work component of the internship or the journal will result in a failing grade.
- The on-site supervisor’s written evaluation of the intern must be submitted by the last day of class for credit to be granted.
- Students are also required to provide Dr. Osterweil with a one page summary of their internship experience as well as uploading an entry for their internship experience on the Experience Explorer.
To apply for an internship for academic credit, you must complete Online Learning Contract Manager submission process. Approval for academic credit for the internship is required BEFORE beginning work. Approved students will be registered for the internship course (GLBL 193) in the semester of the internship. Enrollment in GLBL 193 is restricted to Global Studies majors only.
Sponsorship of Internship
The work or mission of the organization or institution sponsoring the internship must be meaningfully connected to a Global Studies topic. It is entirely the student’s responsibility to find her or his own internship. Global Studies cannot serve as a placement service for students wishing to pursue internships.
Dr. Michal Osterweil (firstname.lastname@example.org) will oversee the academic component of the internship. Students will be required to submit a journal chronicling their internship work, to be evaluated by Dr. Osterweil at the end of the semester. Failure to complete the work component of the internship or the journal will result in a failing grade.
Other important information:
Proposals must be submitted online and approved before you begin your internship. The exact submission date is listed above.
Prior to submitting, you must have already met and received approval from your independent study advisor for independent credit or Dr. Michal Osterweil (email@example.com) for all internship credit requests.
There are NO exceptions.