- This event has passed.
Learning, Teaching, and Community-Building with Refugees
November 6, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
This roundtable brings together scholars, activists, and NGO volunteers to discuss how to learn from and with refugees, teach about refugees, and engage with refugee communities. What are the strategies for resisting the racialization and marginalization of refugees and for developing an appreciation of refugee experiences, knowledge, and contributions to societies? What interventions in research, in the classroom, and in community organizing are required to promote ethical engagements with refugees and to maximize benefits flowing from these engagements to refugees and their communities?
- Christian Wilhelm is the manager of the international master programs of the Department of Social Sciences at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin.
- Dr. Diya Abdo is the Director of UNCG’s Center for New North Carolinians (CNNC).
- David J. Marshall is an Assistant Professor of Geography at Elon University.
- Lizzie Russler is a senior Morehead-Cain Scholar at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Meagan Clawar is a Masters of Public Health recipient from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.