- This event has passed.
Global Studies MA Summer Award Application Deadline
Curriculum in Global Studies
2022 MA Student Summer Awards
The Curriculum in Global Studies is pleased to announce a call for proposals for summer experience awards. Award recipients are expected to be engaged in a research, academic, or professional opportunity that directly corresponds to their chosen concentration and has direct relevance to their thesis/capstone project. The award must be used in the summer for which it is awarded and cannot be rolled over to another semester or year. Typically awards are between $500-$1,500. Requests for additional support will be considered based on the availability of funds and on the merit of the proposal.
Students must comply with all current UNC travel policies when submitting Global Studies summer award applications. We anticipate changes are likely to occur with travel policies and restrictions, but we require all applicants whose applications include international travel to please refer to and abide by all UNC travel policies and requirements to seek exemptions/approvals.
To be eligible for an award, students must:
- Be registered first-year MA students in the Curriculum in Global Studies
- Be in good academic standing with The Graduate School
- Be able to convincingly demonstrate the benefit of the proposed experience for the concentration and thesis/capstone project
- Receive appropriate UNC travel exemptions/approvals (if required due to international travel)
In the fall semester following the receipt of the award, the successful applicant will:
- write a 1–2 page summary of the summer activity, explaining how the experience has advanced degree and career goals. The report is due on or before August 19, 2022, at 5pm. Please send the report to Dr. Erica Johnson (email@example.com, Director of Graduate Studies) & Zach Ward (firstname.lastname@example.org, Student Services Manager).
- give a short presentation about the field experience for a Global Studies audience at a session to be scheduled early in the semester.
We expect these outputs will be used to highlight MA students’ experiences in the Global Studies newsletter, on the Global Studies web site, and among the broader campus community.
Applicants will submit a statement of purpose (approximately 500 words; double-spaced) explaining the academic and/or professional intentions for the summer term. The statement should set out a clearly delineated program of study and/or work experience, explaining its value conceptually, thematically, and/or methodologically to the applicant’s overall academic, research, and professional goals.
In addition to the statement of purpose, please submit a projected budget for the experience and the use of the Global Studies funds. The statement of purpose does not need to justify your proposal with regard to your financial circumstances. Grants will be awarded solely on the basis of the intellectual merits of the proposed field experience.
Applications will be open through Wednesday, April 13th.