- This event has passed.
Environmentalism, Fantasy and Intersectionality: A Comparison Between the US and the EU
October 28, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
This conference takes up the question of how fantasy and science fiction are used to address minority issues, specifically as they relate to environmental concerns in the European Union and the US. Scholars will gather from the EU and the US to present and discuss work on female and ethnic minority authors and directors using fantasy to engage with environmental issues, and the impact of human society on environment. Conference panel themes include: the Anthropocene, “A Transdisciplinary Approach to Scifi”, “The Secret Life of Trash”, and “Teaching Alternative Futurisms”.
Thursday, November 5:
- Keynote: Humanization and Belonging: Reproduction, Environment, Futurity | 1:00 pm – 2:15 pm
- Panel 1: Ethics & Living with Environmental Challenges | 2:30 – 3:45 pm
- Panel 2: Rebuilding in a Post-apocalyptic Era | 4:00 – 5:00 pm
Friday, November 6:
- Panel 3: Race, Class and Future Inequalities | 1:30 – 2:45 pm
- Panel 4: Pedagogical Approaches to Scifi and Intersectionality | 3:00 – 4:00 pm
For more information, and to RSVP click here: https://jmce.unc.edu/environmentalism-fantasy-intersectionality/