- This event has passed.
Diplomacy and the Arts, Then and Now
February 18, 2016 @ 5:00 pmFree
A public discussion will be held February 18, and will kick off the Pre-Modern Diplomacy and the Arts Seminar. The discussion will be used to explore the diplomatic uses of the arts, past and present, from the perspective of diplomats, artists, and researchers.
Featured Speakers include:
- Rebekah Ahrendt, Assistant Professor of Music, Yale University
- Shirlette Ammons, Durham-based poet and musician, and past resident artist in the “Next Level” hip-hop diplomacy program
- André Barden (DJ A-Minor), Charlotte-based educator, musician, and DJ, and past resident artist in the “Next Level” hip-hop diplomacy program
- W. Robert Pearson, retired Foreign Service officer, served in several posts including as U.S. Ambassador to Turkey
- Nancy Um, Associate Professor of Art, SUNY-Binghamton
- John Watkins, McKnight Distinguished University Professor of English, University of Minnesota
Sponsored by the Department of Romance Studies and the Program in Medieval and Early Modern Studies Dororthy Ford Wiley Fund
This event is free and open to the public.