Deadline: January 31, 2018. Highly qualified undergraduate students are invited to apply for scholarships funding study, senior thesis research and/or internships in Germany. The goal of this program is to support study abroad in Germany and at German universities. Preference will be given to students whose projects or programs are based at and organized by a German university. Scholarships are available either as part of an organized study abroad program or an independent study abroad semester or year. Click here to find more information.
- are currently second and third year students and will be in their third and fourth year during their stay in Germany
- are seeking DAAD support for a 4-10 month period in Germany during the German academic year
- possess outstanding academic records and personal integrity, as evinced by both their grades and letters of recommendation
- have well-defined study, research or internship plans for their stay in Germany
- submit the DAAD language evaluation form with their application, although German language competency is not mandatory
- demonstrate an interest in contemporary German and European affairs and who explain the significance of their project in Germany to their future studies, research or professional goals
- are enrolled, full-time students in an undergraduate degree-granting program at an accredited North American college or university
- will return to the US or Canada after the scholarship period to complete their bachelor’s degree
How to Apply
- Documents to be uploaded to the DAAD Portal:
- Online application form for funding program „Undergraduate Scholarship, 2017″ – to be downloaded from the DAAD Portal after registering
- Curriculum vitae (max. 3 pages)
- Statement about academic and personal reasons for the planned study project in Germany (letter of motivation; 1-3 pages; see FAQs for tips)
- Statement of Support and Credit Eligibility, to download click on link in the box to the right.
- Proof of acceptance into Study Abroad Program, Exchange Program, letter by mentor or invitation from a German university. This can be submitted after the rest of the application, but prior to starting the program. In this case, please include in your application a letter from your study abroad office or the program you are applying to, which confirms that you are indeed applying for the respective program.
- College Transcripts (can be scanned and uploaded in non-certified form.)
- Language Evaluation Form (Sprachzeugnis), to download click on link in the box to the right. If you have any knowledge of German, submit this document signed by a faculty member of the German Department at your institution. If you have no knowledge of German and your study language in Germany is English, be sure to submit this certificate anyway, indicating that your study language is English, and write at the top “No knowledge of German.” (Please note that German is not a requirement for the Undergraduate Scholarship).
- To be submitted by mail:
- Two reference forms:
- The reference forms have to be generated and downloaded in the DAAD portal in the section “Request reference”.
- You must submit two reference forms completed by two separate faculty members in your major at your home university.
- Please send the forms by e-mail to your referees and ask for three copies of the completed reference form to be returned to you in a sealed envelope (i.e. signed original + 2 copies of signed original). Your professors can also send the forms directly to the application address below.
- Your referees must also send a scan of the signed form/letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.