Curriculum Global Studies Undergraduate Summer Awards
2021 Summer Awards
The Curriculum in Global Studies is pleased to announce we are opening our call for proposals for monetary awards to support our Undergraduate students who are in the process of securing/have secured globally oriented experiences, including internships, research, and other similar endeavors for Summer 2021.
Given the particular circumstances of summer 2021 and the ongoing pandemic, students with travel outside of North Carolina as a part of their application are required to complete and gain a travel exception through the process outlined below. No funding will be afforded to students without approval through this system.
STUDENTS APPLYING FOR AN AWARD TO HELP FUND AN APPROVED UNC STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM FOR SUMMER 2021 DO NOT HAVE TO SUBMIT A TRAVEL EXCEPTION REQUEST.
In order to submit a petition for an exception, the student must submit the following information via email to Dr. Bettina Shuford, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The specific dates and destinations of proposed travel;
- The academic purpose of the proposed trip and an explanation as to why the activity can’t be conducted remotely via video conferencing or through other electronic means;
- Whether the proposed travel is related to COVID-19 or other pressing public health matters;
- A summary of how the trip specifically supports your progress toward degree;
- A letter of support from a faculty advisor or mentor;
- Approval by the dean of your school that you are submitting this request;
- A description of travel risks and how you propose to mitigate those risks during the trip and upon return to campus;
- A signed traveler’s Assumption of Risk & Release of Liability(to be attached);
- A copy of proposed travel itinerary detailing the travel route (to be attached).
For projects involving travel within the continental United States, we anticipate the majority of those requests to be approved based on current guidance. For projects involving international travel, we anticipate the overwhelming majority of those requests to be denied based on current guidance.
Applications will be open through Friday, April 30th.
Unfortunately, graduating Global Studies seniors are not eligible for these awards.
Applications should be submitted through this Qualtrics Link.
- Student must be a declared Global Studies Major.
- You must be returning to UNC after the experience.
- You must keep and submit a journal.
- You must attend a reflection session at the beginning of the fall semester.
- You must write a two-to-four-page report summarizing and reflecting upon the experience, due to Zach Ward (email@example.com) by August 25th, 2021
- Receive an exception if your application involved any travel outside of North Carolina
Applications will be evaluated according to the following three criteria:
- Overall merit of the project in relation to student academic and career goals;
- demonstrated engagement with global issues in and beyond the classroom
To apply, please submit below the required information:
- Name (first, last)
- UNC E-mail Address
- Local Mailing Address
- Class Year
- Complete CV, including contact information, degree details, and work, volunteer, and other relevant experience
- One or two page description (double-spaced, 12-point font) of the experience, explaining how it will enrich your education and career goals and any other relevant information.
- A detailed budget, including additional funding being pursued.
Contact Dr. Michal Osterweil at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about the application requirements.