Although we do not directly link students up with internships, occasionally we do post relevant opportunities below and in the UNC, Non-UNC categories.
** These internships are not endorsed or in any way guaranteed by the Curriculum in Global Studies.
Non-UNC Internship Opportunities
Nourish International (posted 8/20/2015)
WE ARE SEEKING TO FILL THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
1. Corporate Outreach & Grant Writing Intern
2. Development Intern
3. Marketing & Public Relations Inter
4. Business Development & Strategy Intern (Travel Nourish)
5. Business Development & Strategy Intern (Shop Nourish)
6. International Projects & Partnership Intern
7. Chapter network & Social innovation Intern
Interns work closely with full-time Nourish staff to expand and strengthen the organization’s capacity to deliver upon its mission to make a lasting impact on extreme poverty.
Positions are for the National Office of Nourish International (not the UNC Student Organization), which will be located at 723 Mt. Carmel Church Rd., Chapel Hill, NC, 27517. The positions require about 10 hours per week and are unpaid. You can find more information and position descriptions here. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Internship for Humanitarian Development
Introduction: Internship for Humanitarian Development (IHD ) is located in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India. We provide Internship and Research Programs in Rajasthan which are embedded in a structured and ongoing Training and Education framework. We have identified key Competencies necessary for productive community and humanitarian development work in a developing country. These Competencies guide our Training programs, Field Work and Research. Interns and researchers complete projects in many different fields—Micro-enterprise, Health, Education, Human Rights, Microfinance, Gender Equity, Environment and the Arts.
Induction Workshops: All Participants engage in a 6 day Orientation Program on arrival in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. This interactive program, based on Community Development Competencies includes topics eg The Role of the Community Developer in a developing country; Human Rights in India; Communication Skills; Project Implementation (Engagement, Needs Analysis, Problem Identification and Solution, Implementation and Evaluation); Topic Knowledge (e.g. microfinance, health, AIDS in India etc); Using a Translator; Hindi Skills. Ongoing weekend workshops and excursions continue Participant learning.
Project and Field Work: Participant Project and Research choice is a consensual activity between the Participant and the selected partner organization, facilitated by IHD. The objective is to provide an outcome which benefits the Program Participant and the participating organization. The Project is structured by a Work Plan, ongoing mentoring by IHD and Report Writing and Implementation.
Homestay: Interns stay with a family preselected by IHD for the duration of their stay in India. Full board is provided; the intern will participate in family activities, festivals and day to day life. Families will speak manageable English. Mature age professionals may choose to stay in hotel/guesthouse accommodation.
For more information see our website: www.ihdindia.com
International Focus Inc., is a non-profit, 501 (c)(3) organization with the mission to support North Carolina’s international communities through cross-cultural communication, education, understanding, and the celebration of culture, arts, from around the world. Recently, International Focus Inc., (IF) has broaden its scope to become the host of major public diplomacy programming such as, the International Visitor Leadership Program, Community Connections, Open World and Youth Programs. This transition is providing college students with many opportunities to familiarize themselves with cross-communication, citizen diplomacy, international relations, international culture, community and global events. IF is now offering unpaid internships for SPRING 2015. Interns will assist the organization with:A-programming itineraries for visiting international dignitaries, OR B-assisting with the planning of the annual International Festival of Raleigh.See these two descriptions for more information
SPRING 2015-MArketing- Internship_Description_2014
Students should have interest in cross-cultural communication, international affairs and willing to work at least ten hours a week.Please send resume and cover to Leila Bekri, Director, IVLP; 3700 National Drive, Suite 214, Raleigh, NC 27612 or firstname.lastname@example.org; 919.782.0552 x 11. Deadline for application: January 9, 2015
ABAN Spring 2015 Internships
Have a global internship experience without leaving the Triangle! A Ban Against Neglect (ABAN) is an international nonprofit based in Carrboro that works to end the cycle of generational poverty among women and children in Ghana. We provide women with limited opportunity a means to make a sustainable living, empowering them through education and skills training.
ABAN is currently seeking motivated volunteer interns to join our team for the Spring 2015 semester. We are looking for interns who can commit to 10 hours per week for the spring semester (excluding spring break and holiday weeks). Our internships provide great opportunities to gain practical experience doing meaningful work for a growing nonprofit!
Our office is located on Main Street in Carrboro, just across from Weaver Street Market. To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Mary Kathryne Hutton at email@example.com with the title of the internship (e.g. “Donor Relations Intern”) in the subject line.
Donor Relations Intern. The Donor Relations Intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Maintaining ABAN’s donor database and updating donor information as needed. ABAN uses Salesforce.com and will provide training for the right candidate.
- Tracking donations and sending appropriate acknowledgement
- Assisting in the composition and distribution of quarterly newsletters
- Assisting in planning donor appreciation events and organizing donor gifts
- Supporting ABAN’s Development Officer in implementing ABAN’s Annual Campaign
- Providing other support to the Development Officer as needed.
For success in this position, the intern should possess the following competencies:
- Strong professional communication skills, both verbal and written
- A high degree of organization and attention to detail
- Ability to complete assignments thoroughly and on deadline with minimal supervision
- Responsiveness to emails and phone calls, both internal and external
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software, specifically Salesforce.com, is preferred but not required
Public Relations Intern. The Public Relations Intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Pursuing opportunities for ABAN to be featured in print and electronic media
- Composing and editing articles and press releases
- Maintaining ABAN’s presence in online forums such as social media sites, relevant blogs, etc.
- Publicizing events, fundraising campaigns, and other relevant happenings
- Other tasks as assigned by ABAN’s Sales & Marketing Manager
For success in this position, the intern should possess the following competencies:
- Prior experience (paid or unpaid) working in public relations and/or marketing
- Experience contributing to print and electronic media sources
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to complete assignments and adhere to deadlines with minimal supervision
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Apps and various social media platforms
US AID Student Internships
We draw enthusiastic and forward-thinking interns from a wide variety of fields of study.Interns generally work in one of USAID’s offices in Washington, DC, supporting programs in fields such as economic growth, agriculture, education, health, environment, democracy and governance, conflict prevention, and humanitarian assistance.The work assigned to an intern typically includes:
- Writing program memoranda
- Drafting documents
- Facilitating meetings and special events
- Attending program discussions in the Agency, at the Department of State, or on Capitol Hill
- Communicating about program issues with USAID field Missions abroad, and with USAID’s many stakeholders and the general public
Check out their website for available internships: http://www.usaid.gov/work-usaid/careers/student-internships
VIF International Education is an international education company based in Chapel Hill that delivers international education and language immersion programs to help students and teachers become a global citizen in our interconnected world.The internship would be within the Curriculum and Instructional Design department. This department is responsible for developing globally geared curriculum and resources necessary for students and teachers to become global-ready citizens. This internship would be a great opportunity for anyone who is interested in education policy, international education, international exchange teachers, curriculum design and much more.We are looking for an individual who has a medium-to-high proficiency in Spanish, and if they have experience with AP Style or InDesign that is a plus. We are looking for an intern who can work 10+ hours each week at an hourly rate of $10.00/hour.Please ask those who are interested to email their resume and cover letter to [firstname.lastname@example.org]posted 9/2/2014
Cambridge Global Advisors (posted 4/2/2014) is a strategic communications and public relations firm that is looking for a Communications and Office Assistant. CGA is a new, small business, that is developing quickly and looking for a Communications and Office Assistant who can help with day-to-day operations, client and project assistance, program outreach, and assist CGA staff in business and project needs. Our clients span across industries, including NGOs, private sector, and government, with a special focus on national security and campaign-related projects. The ideal candidate should have an interest in public relations, communications. campaigns, and be comfortable in a small office environment. The internship is unpaid, but successful interns will have potential for professional growth and employment opportunities as business develops.Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Administrative Work/Filing/Scheduling
- Public outreach and organizing
- Assist on multiple clients as needed
If interested, please email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com